Mother nature is you host !
Welcome to Tuosist, on the Kenmare Bay
Ring of Beara, County Kerry.
The ruins of Ardea Castle stand on a promontory overlooking Kenmare bay in the townland of Ardea in the centre of the parish. It was one of the three main castles of the O Sullivan-Bere clan. The O Sullivans were driven from Knockgraggon near Clonmel by the Normans in the 12th century and settled later on both sides of Kenmare Bay.....
From Tuosist to the National Museum
One of the biggest finds of Bronze Age metal artefacts - The Killaha Hoard - was found in a field in Killaha at the Kenmare end of the parish. They were found by James O Sullivan who was clearing rocks from his land. They were later acquired by the National Museum of Ireland where they are still stored. Accession numbers 1939: 388-396
Sèan Ó Súilleabháin
Sèan Ó Súilleabháin, poet and folklorist, and Tuosist native, was instrumental in the establishment of the Irish National Folklore Archives.
St Kilian - Patron Saint of Tuosist
The patron saint of Tuosist is St. Kilian, a native of Mullagh in Cavan. He worked as a missionary in Wurzburg, Germany where he was martyred and where he is still honoured. His feast day in on July 8 and a Pattern is still celebrated in Kilmackillogue (in Tuosist) on the eve of his feast.
The Cave of the Scribings
Pluais na Scríob - The Cave of the Scribing - located in the Caha Mountains, continues to baffle the experts. A wall of the cave, six feet high by twenty feet long, is covered with inscriptions in the rock which are not conventional Ogham writing. Much investigation remains to be done on the site before any satisfactory explanation is forthcoming.
The Landsdowne Estate
"The Landsdowne Estate in Kerry under the agency of William Steuart Trench 1849 - 1872" by Tuosist native Gerard J. Lyne, was published in 2001. This is a comprehensive and illuminating study, based on extensive archives, of the operation of the Landlord system in Ireland in the post-famine period.
Tuosist - The Name
The name TUOSIST comes from the Gaelic Tuath Ó Siosta or Tuath aes Iosta. Tuath was a community and the area they occupied. So the name translates roughly as The territory of the Soista or Iosta people.
The book Tuosist 6000, first published in 1999, was compiled by the Tuosist History and Newsletter Committee. It's 50 articles over 230 pages provides an encyclopedic references on the history of the area and its people over the last 6000 years.
Tuosist in The Bronze Age
There is much evidence that Tuosist was occupied during the Bronze Age (2000 - 500 BC). The eight stone circles in the parish which were for ceremonial use, date from that period. They are spaced out over the whole parish from Cashelkeelty and Shroneburrane in the west to Dromroe in the east.
Few parishes have such a rich heritage of poetry, especially in the Irish language, as Tuosist. For this we are deeply indebted to Sèan Ó Súilleabháin, scholar and folklorist, a native of the parish, who in the 1920s and 1930s collected and published the works of Tuosist poets